He has been a consultant for the World Bank, the OECD, the European Commission, UNICEF and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He is specialised in international and development economics. He has been working extensively on the economics of multinational firms, on the link between trade, foreign direct investments and technology diffusion, on international economic policy and on firms’ dynamics in developing countries. His publications include books and several papers published in academic journals and international series of working papers. He is the coauthor of Multinationals in the World Economy with Anthony J.Venables (Princeton University Press 2004; Le multinazionali nell’economia mondiale, Il Mulino 2006). He writes a column in Il Sole 24 Ore.
- Barba Navaretti, G. and G. Ottaviano, “Made in Torino? Fiat Chrysler Automobiles e il futuro dell'industria”, Il Mulino, 2014
- Barba Navaretti, G., D. Castellani and F. Peri, ,”Age and firm growth: evidence from three European countries”, Small Business Economics, 43(4): 823-837, 2014.
- Barba Navaretti, G. and A.J. Venables, “Multinationals and Industrial Policy”, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 29(32): 361-382, 2013.
- Barba Navaretti, G., G. Calzolari, A.F. Pozzolo and M. Levi, “Multinational banking in Europe: financial stability and regulatory implications. Lessons from the financial crisis”, Economic Policy, 25(64): 703-753, 2010.
- Barba Navaretti, G., D. Castellani and A. Disdier, “How does investing in cheap labour countries affect performance at home? Firm-level evidence from France and Italy”, Oxford Economic Papers, 62(2): 234-260, 2010